Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cut From Cardboard, Worn On the Sleeve

They always say the same thing,
When walking away from me.
Aren't we worth saving?
Wasn't this what dreamers dream about?
All those words of love now hurt,
When said aloud.
The truth always gets stuck inside of my mouth.

I remember, a time,
When "mine" meant something real.
Now when facing trial,
I stick to my guns and hold up denial,
Higher than hope, higher than trust.
Higher than the space created between us.

Weight of the anvil,
Shakes the top of the frame,
To the edges of the handle.
Mental states, rearranged.
Common places we'd like to escape.

I remember, that day,
When the clouds streaked across,
Cutting off everything my eyes searched for.
Anything to lose, that gaze you put fourth.

Weight of my breath,
Shaking my senses,
Stood still pretending,
That there were no fences.

I always said the same things,
To avoid my failings.
Am I worth saving?
I can't find you in my dreams,
But you'll always stay a secret in my sheets,
Warmed when underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment